Wednesday 17 June 2015

Cycling

Hi again everyone

People tend to look at me  bit strangely when I tell them that I cycle to work. I must say that I had a lot of misgivings at first too. But now I think that ditching the car (most of the time) has been one of the best changes we've made to our lives in the last few years. Here's my bold summary:


You should cycle to work.


Who wouldn't want to ride a bike when it looked like this?
Photo credit: Michael (CC-BY 2.0)
  Not sold? Not even by the blue and yellow bike?

Benefits of cycling:
  1. The Planet. People, we do not live on an infinite resource. I would like my children to know what trees look like from first hand experience. Every kilometer cycled is a kilometer less fossil fuel consumption.
  2. Your wallet. Our very basic little citiGolf costs approximately R4 per kilometer, if you factor in wear and tear, maintenance, depreciation and fuel (which you absolutely should, by the way. That new clutch is not going to pay for itself!). How much does your car cost? Go here to get an estimate. It totally changed my perspective when I worked out that my home-work route was costing me R50 a time. Would I really spend R250 per week just getting to work?
  3. Health. I am fitter (and skinnier) than I've ever been in my life, despite eating like a Trojan. This comes down to simple Maths: although I don't cycle fast, or particularly far, I get about an hour's worth of exercise on average five times a week. This makes a big difference to a totally non-gym girl. If I don't cycle for a week, I can feel the stress levels rising as well. Apparently endorphins are a real thing.
  4. Connection. Moving more slowly, and not isolated in your car bubble, you notice more. This week, I noticed that the pavements near our house had been swept, and spent several moments feeling grateful to whomever had toiled at that thankless task. I shared a wry grin with some domestic workers setting off on their longer journey home. Cycling gives me a chance to connect with the world around me far more than driving.
Being connected to the world around you: priceless.
Photo credit: Dustin Gaffke (CC-BY 2.0)
Problems with cycling (and how to make them go away):
  1. "I'll arrive at work all sweaty and gross". Actually, you don't get that hot and sweaty, even in summer: cycling works up a pleasant breeze. You also don't have to cycle as if you're about to win the Tour de France. I usually take it easy; and if I can feel that I'm getting a bit warm then I deliberately slow down for the last few minutes of my trip. 
  2. "I can't work in cycling clothes". Um, most workplaces have bathrooms, right? Some even have shower facilities. Now since I'm a teacher and I am NOT sharing a shower facility with the kids (we all have limits), I don't shower after my trip. But I do keep my work clothes in my staff locker and change when I get to school. I transport a week's worth of clothes when I drive in on the day I stay for evening classes. The quick-change process takes about 5-10 minutes in the morning.
  3. "It's too far". If you live less than 10 km from work, just stop being a wuss. If I can get fit enough, trust me, anyone can. If you live further away, consider moving closer to work, or moving work closer to home: quickest way to reduce your carbon footprint too!
  4. "It's cold and wet in winter". See point three above. The benefits far outweigh this consideration, unless it is actually POURING when you want to leave. And that has only happened to us once or twice this whole winter so far; it is far rarer than you might think. If you ain't already sick, you'll dry and warm up in no time. 
  5. It isn't snowing, so stop making excuses!
    Photo credit: Sakeeb Sabakka (CC-BY 2.0)
  6. "I've got too much to carry". Easy. Stay at work a bit longer. Work a bit more efficiently. Leave work at work. This is a fantastic side effect of cycling. Brain space expansion!
  7. "It'll take too long". It takes me about 30 minutes to cycle to school. If there is absolutely no traffic (i.e. almost never) it take 15 minutes to drive the same distance. And I'm getting in my free gym and mental health session as well. The time investment might feel like a lot, but it is actually minimal, considering the other benefits. I do leave a little earlier in case of flat tyres and other cycling catastrophes but that just gives me a bit more time at work to get my ducks in a row. My husband sometimes beats his colleagues home, as he almost always cycles during peak traffic.
  8. "It's not safe". the received wisdom in South Africa is that the streets are a mad, bad place to be, especially for women, and much better only seen from the tinted windows of your vehicle. This is an important one to get right: it isn't worth risking your personal safety. BUT if you think about it, the very act of living risks your personal safety. You have to decide what risks are acceptable, based on their reward. My safety boundaries? I won't cycle at night. I have chosen my route based on the cycle paths as far as possible. I try to cycle with my husband through the dangerous/dark parts of the trip. I am hyper cautious on the road, and often wait for ages at intersections rather than take any chances. Depending on where you live, this last point might be the deal breaker. But think carefully before you allow it to put you off: you may just be making excuses. Plus, the more cyclists we have on the roads, the safer it will be for everyone: more cycle paths, better motorist awareness, general goodness.
So, to return to my first point... You should cycle to work.

It's okay to be scared - I was at first! Don't let fear stop you.

It's okay to start out slow. I'll post another time on how I got into the swing of it. Don't let inertia stop you. 

It's also okay to wimp out once in a while. Every day that you don't drive is benefiting you in so many ways. Don't let a desire for 100% perfection stop you.

Basically, don't let anything stop you.

To freedom!
jjdaydream

No comments:

Post a Comment